Our 360 Degree Approach
AJSA 360° Community Driven Development approach aims to generate a sense of ownership among communities to build on their existing capacities and resources in a manner which is equitable and free from any form of discrimination.
Under the 360° approach, AJSA believes that in order to eliminate poverty, it is important to be engaged holistically in all the sectors- including water and sanitation, community mobilization livelihoods, health and nutrition. The approach is based on the Gandhian principles of village “Gram swaraj” self-reliance and working around key strengths of a village. AJSA focuses on complementing what already exists with the government and private partners.
Elements of a 360° Approach
CHANGE LASTS WHEN IT COMES FROM WITHIN
We intend to promote community participation in all our programs and activities to ensure that solutions to problems come from the people itself. Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) tools are deployed to ensure participation from the most marginalized groups.
BEST SOLUTIONS LIE WITHIN THE COMMUNITIES ITSELF
We believe that community members determine, own, and drive the change process. Change can only be brought by addressing the root causes if concern rather than only reacting to symptoms. By keeping our communities at the centre, we try to derive solutions which can be owned and sustained by them. We want to ensure that, similar to successful enterprises and organizations, our communities are empowered and equipped to keep themselves out of poverty without relying on external aid and support.
“All people in the community are the primary stakeholders who we work for. They build on their existing resources and assets that are available to them in nature or made available through government systems. The people contribute their time, money and energy while we play the role of facilitators of change.”
SUPPORTING COMMUNITIES WITH WHAT THEY NEED, IN THE WAY THEY NEED IT
We intend to adopt a multi-sector approach where the focus is on the holistic development of the community. This means that all our activities with the communities are not limited to a single sector but rather integrated cross-cutting with all- income generation, health, education, water, food security, environment, and social justice.
SUPPORTING PEOPLE AS CATALYSTS OF CHANGE
Every community’s needs are unique, and we help each village identify ways they can improve their lives. Empowered individuals mobilize their communities. They take ownership of the work and become agents of their own change.
We learn from our best practises and share our professional expertise with the stakeholders and community we work. With this cross-sharing of knowledge, expertise and skills, people become the catalysts of change in their communities. We bring the experience and knowledge of experts from various sectors and combine it with the solutions identified with communities to holistically address the ever-evolving human development challenges.
CORE APPROACHES OF 36 DEGREE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- Convergence– In order to address vulnerabilities and root causes of issues faced by the marginalized, we link and collaborate with concerned government departments to ensure a sense of sustainability in whatever we do.
- Awareness Generation– We believe in the power of collectives which guides us in generating awareness among the marginalized about various aspects of individual and community development and existing resources that can be utilized to address issues being faced by them.
- Voluntary Initiatives– We recognise the potential of communities as first responders to any situation. We mobilize and provide necessary support to members of the community and motivate them to become a part of locally identified solutions.
- Empowering People to Exercise their Rights– Following an issue-based approach, we empower people to become active citizens in their community. Active citizens are people who are motivated and have the skill and confidence to speak up for their rights and basic needs.
- External Support– As a final measure, we seek support externally from the private sector and engage in crowdfunding & donation (technical and financial assistance).
We believe and work to nurture locally grown and Community led sustainable solutions.